The musings of a wife, mom, and thirty-something who will pretty much try anything...

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

She could stand to be a little more Wrigley, and a little less Sushi...

If any of you know my husband at all, you know one of his strongest characteristics is his tendency to be impulsive. Especially when it comes to animals. I have successfully talked him out of pigs, mini-goats, hamsters, schools of salt water fish....I could go on.....and on. Only twice have I been unsuccessful. Three years ago he came home with a cute little teacup Yorkie. The only reason I really didn't want her is because we already had two dogs at the time, and three seemed slightly absurd. Sushi grew on me, however, through her incessant barking and nipping, and became a part of our family. Unfortunately, when Brixon came, the bad habits became too much to handle with a newborn, and we had to find her a new home. We were lucky to find a couple who would love her, and nurture her less appealing qualities ;) We also lost Gizmo that month, and we became a one dog house. I was content, but made the fatal mistake of telling Nick that SOMEDAY I would like to get a new English Bulldog. Cut to one week later, when Scout (or "Gout," as Brixon calls her) bounded through my front door. I was not a happy camper. I really wanted to wait until Wrigley had passed (having absolutely no idea that it would happen so soon), and just didn't want to deal with the difficulties that having a puppy involves (pulling the lights off of my Christmas tree, nipping at my ankles, potty training). However, the very day we lost Wrigley, I understood why this puppy was brought into our lives. Although aside from her stubbornness, the similarities are purely physical at this point (we're working on it!), it's kind of like having a little mini-Wrigley running around. And while she will never replace the original, she is sure helping to fill the tremendous void.




No comments: