The musings of a wife, mom, and thirty-something who will pretty much try anything...

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

We miss you, Giz

Yesterday was a rough day for us. After much debate and failed treatment, we had to put Gizmo to sleep. He had bladder stones that we had operated on back in 2007, but they just reformed 3 months later. He then developed kidney stones. We tried special food and medication, but nothing worked. Even though he was always smiling, you could tell he was in pain. It was an incredibly difficult decision, but we knew it was one we had to make.

I bought Gizmo from a family in Ocala back in February of 2003. He was born on April 30, 2002, and had been mistreated for those ten months. It took him a long time to trust anyone, even me, but he was always very sweet and loyal. It's easy to say "well, he's just a dog," but he really was a part of our family. During Hurricane Charley, the scariest two hours of my life, Gizmo just sat calmly in my lap, knowing just how scared I was. We will really miss that little guy.







2 comments:

Kami/The Elegant Elle said...

What a beautiful dog Casey, my heart breaks for you. I can't even imagine having to put our little guy down. Anyone who says, "Well, it's just a dog" doesn't understand. They aren't just dogs, they are family members.

Casey said...

Thanks Kami...it was definitely the hardest thing I've had to do in a while. He was a great little dog!