The musings of a wife, mom, and thirty-something who will pretty much try anything...

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Some Inner Reflection...

People know when I'm happy. They definitely know when I'm mad. But it isn't very often that I convey sentimental emotion. Frankly, it makes me uncomfortable. I tell my children that I love them at least 14 times a day, and lavish them with hugs and kisses. But they are often the only recipients of my adoration. This does not, however, mean I am devoid of sensitivity. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I feel, and I feel strongly. I just don't necessarily know the best way to verbalize. Sure I say 'I love you' to Nick when I'm rushing out the door, spilling coffee on my suit as I go. I give hugs as a standard social greeting. I never hang up the phone with my dad without telling him I love him. But how often do we (and by 'we,' I mean 'I') actually genuinely tell people just what they mean to us, rather than just saying things because it is expected? In my circumstance, it certainly isn't often enough. So I have committed to not only thinking about how I feel, but truly taking the opportunity to tell people. Because, as we have all experienced at some point in our lives, sometimes that opportunity may be the last.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled sarcasm.

No comments: