The musings of a wife, mom, and thirty-something who will pretty much try anything...

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Halfway to 30...

Since most of my posts these days are about my kids, I've decided that since I am rapidly approaching 30 (less than 6 months away), it's the perfect time to get philosophical :). I feel like the decade that makes up your 20's is when you grow and develop the most as an individual (although I only have two others to compare it to so far!), so I'm taking a little time to reflect. Here is what I have learned so far (and what I still need to work on):
1. My relationship with God has matured in the last two years. I have always believed, but I have taken a much more active role in my faith, and the encouragement of faith in my family. We have a fantastic church home, and unlike as a child and teenager, I actually look forward to Sunday service.
2. Pick my battles. This is a relatively recent lesson that I have learned. I have always been the type of person that doesn't keep anything inside. I take things to heart, and if you have hurt my feelings in any way, you will definitely know about it. I have always advocated open communication, and avoided gossiping (it literally makes my stomach hurt), but I have learned the hard way that some things don't even need to be addressed at all. Not everything is intentional, or a personal attack, and some things just need to be 'let go.' This is a work-in-progress :D
3. Patience. This is another work-in-progress, especially with a toddler! I am very type-A, and have a tendency to want immediate results. I am slowly learning that many good things come in time, so we'll get there!
4. Embrace what I can't change. This builds off of #3; typically, when I get bored, things change iimmediately (take a sample of photos from the last ten years, and look at my hair if you need proof). But some of the things that I am seeking to change (moving, for example!) just aren't feasible at this point. So I am learning that instead of focusing on the outcome, I will enjoy the process of getting there.
5. Appreciation of family and friends. I have always been very close with my family, but since I have been away from everyone other than my parents for the last 9 years, I truly savor the 2 or 3 times a year that we do have together. I would love to have more time than that, but that would bring me right back to #4. I am also very thankful that I have married into a family that is so similar to my own, and have embraced not only me, but my parents as well. I am also so very grateful that I have two beautiful children, and I remind myself each and every day just how precious these days are. Even in the midst of a tantrum, I tell myself to remember this, because someday, when he is begging for the car keys, I will be wishing for the moment he was clinging to my leg. Not only do I have a wonderful family, but I have a close set of friends not only here in Florida, but in Michigan as well. And we are fortunate enough to realize that whether we speak multiple times in a day, or only a handful of times a year, our friendships remain steadfast.
6. Stop making so many 'to-do' lists, and focus on lists to remind me of what I have done. Like this one.

No comments: